SSAWW 2021 Conference November 4-7, 2021
Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Hotel, Baltimore, Maryland
American Women Writers: Ecologies, Survival, Change
Questions about the conference – email firstname.lastname@example.org
- #SSAWW2021 – Navigating the Conference for in-person and virtual attendees
- Baltimore Guide – Sights, Tours, and Restaurants
- Join Whova and make the most of your conference experience
- Open Dinner at Little Havana – Thursday, 10/4 Sign-up here
- Chat with and Editor and Chat about Digital Humanist Sign-ups (NOW AVAILABLE!)
- September 13 – Letter to SSAWW Members – Conference Update
- October 1 Graduate Student Travel Award Application – Deadline 10.1.2021
- September 30 Register for the conference to ensure your place on the program.
- September 27 Notify panel chairs of presentation preference
- August 10 Graduate Student Registration Waiver (For Service)
- June 1 Pay or Renew you SSAWW 2021 Membership Dues
- April 12 Confirm or submit any special requests for AV by emailing email@example.com. AV REQUESTS CANNOT BE SUBMITTED AFTER THIS DEADLINE
- April 12 Confirm receipt of your acceptance by completing the survey (link sent with acceptance letter)
- Submission Guidelines – Available HERE (closed)
- Call for 2021 SSAWW Awards – Lifetime Award Extended Deadline: 3.15.2021 (closed)
- CFP for 2021 SSAWW Conference – EXTENDED Deadline: 3.8.2021 (closed)
- Call for Reviewers for 2021 SSAWW Conference 1.31.2021 (ended)
For our in-person 2021 SSAWW Triennial Conference, SSAWW will abide by all current state and local guidelines regarding Covid precautions for large gatherings and follow all CDC guidelines in place in November 2021. If health conditions necessitate, we will postpone the conference until November 2022 and refund registration fees.
“Ecologies, Survival, Change” celebrates the many women across the Americas whose creative work fosters survival and envisions change by exploring the systems in which we live, labor and love. Toni Morrison is our touchstone: her works powerfully remind us that humans, however implicated in damaging structures, can also resist them through networks that sustain and transform.
We offer the term “ecologies” to signify the dynamic, interlocking systems that make up our world, from networks of family and friends to entrenched processes of environmental exploitation to hierarchies of race and gender. Material and discursive, natural and human created, entrenched and emergent – ecologies integrate diverse, even conflicting, values and effects. As the novel coronavirus demonstrates, global pandemics and other crises make many ecologies hyper-visible, calling attention to the sustenance which some provide while exacerbating the destructiveness of others.
Our conference embraces the capacity of creative work to represent existing ecologies and to imagine alternative ones. While we encourage papers, panels, roundtables, and workshops that explore our theme, however, our 2021 conference is not restricted to them. As always, we encourage panel proposals from affiliated societies. As we meet in Baltimore for the first time, we also welcome contributions that highlight the city’s women writers and artists, organizers and organizations.
In the spirit of creating ecologies that sustain us, the 2021 conference will offer numerous opportunities for community-building and personal and professional flourishing: workshops, mentoring, and brainstorming sessions for colleagues at all stages, from graduate students to retirees; opportunities for meditation and exercise; meetings with journal editors; roundtables and discussions about distance teaching and learning. We will also unveil the SSAWW Digital Recovery Hub, a network of scholars grounded in diverse feminist methods which provides resources for digital project consultation and technical assistance for scholars engaged in the recovery work of American women writers.
While we’re planning a face-to-face conference for November 2021, we are monitoring the ongoing situation with COVID-19 and will prepare contingencies as the situation continues to evolve
Proposals for panels, roundtables, and individual papers are to be submitted no later than March 8, 2021. Details on proposal submissions will be forthcoming. Please check this space and the SSAWW listserv for future updates on our 2021 Triennial Conference.