For those attending the 2023 American Literature Association Conference in Boston, MA, please join us at the SSAWW-sponsored panels below. Our business meeting is open to everyone, so please attend.
If you will be in Boston through Sunday, SSAWW is also hosting an open dinner Saturday evening following the business meeting and ALA closing reception. If you’d like to attend, please send us your information using the form below, and we’ll send you the details.
RSVP to SSAWW Open Dinner – Saturday, May 27th
Thursday, May 25, 2023 2:30 pm – 3:50 pm
Session 5-E Women Writing Activism (Empire)
Organized by the Society for the Study of American Women Writers Chair: Kristin Allukian, University of South Florida
- “‘They hate! hate! hate! Us’: Anna E. Dickinson’s Southern Tour,” Sarah Chinn, Hunter College
- “Archiving Abortion Knowledge in Josephine Herbst’s Fiction and Family Correspondence,” Jeannette Schollaert, University of Maryland, College Park
- “A Seat at the Welcome Table: Fannie Lou Hamer and Voting Rights,” Jennie Kassanoff, Barnard College, Columbia University
Saturday, May 27, 2023 2:30 pm – 3:50 pm
Session 19-D Women’s Editing, Women’s Activism (Great Republic)
Organized by the Society for the Study of American Women Writers Chair: Ellen Gruber Garvey, New Jersey City University, Emerita
- “The Un-Sung Activism of the Voice of Industry: Lowell’s Forgotten Factory Periodical,” Amber Shaw, Coe College
- “Editing as Feminist Activism: Audre Lorde at Amazon Quarterly and Chrysalis,” Meredith Benjamin, Barnard College
- “’Sister in Struggle’: Women’s Prison Zines and Feminist Anti-Prison Organizing,” Olivia Wright, Leeds Beckett University
Saturday, May 27, 2023 5:30 pm – 6:15 pm
Session 21-G Business Meeting: Society for the Study of American Women Writers (St. George C) – all are welcome to attend!