We are happy to announce the SSAWW panels for the 2015 ALA Conference in Boston, MA. Below, please find the complete listings of our two panels: “Liminal Spaces in American Women’s Writing” and “Hybrid Lives in American Women’s Writings.” We will update the SSAWW community with panel dates and times once ALA confirms them.
Many thanks go to our readers who helped select the papers for each of the panels: Linda Moser, Lisa Radinovsky, Faye Halpern, Barbara McCaskill, Robin Cadwallader, Carolyn Sorisio. Their contributions to SSAWW are very much appreciated.
We look forward to seeing you all at ALA 2015!
Panel 1: Liminal Spaces in American Women’s Writing
1. “Liminal Spaces and Grace in Flannery O’Connor’s Fiction,” Doreen Fowler, The University of Kansas
2. “Affectional Direction and Liminal Spaces in Monique Truong’s The Book of Salt,” Tina Powell, Fordham University
3. “Border Affect: Helen Hunt Jackson’s “Habeas Corpus”, Nathan Wolff, Tufts University
Panel 2: Hybrid Lives in American Women’s Writings
1. “Ancient Wisdom, Sacred Sources: Orienting the American Cultural Hearth with Lydia Maria Child,” Jane Denison-Furness, Rock Valley College
2. “Heteroglossia and Hybridity in Mary Ann Shadd Cary’s Black Protofeminist Nationalisms,” Elizabeth Cali, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
3. “Maxine Kumin: Animal Cruelty and the Specter of the Holocaust,” Darla Himeles, Temple University
4. “Sounding ‘the Indian’s share’ in Tsianina’s Where Trails Have Led Me,” Kathleen Washburn, University of New Mexico